Building Regulations Part 1


Building Regulations Section 1: Part A to Part H

SANS 10400 LogoTopSite320x881 Building Regulations Part 1

As there are a total 23 Parts to the SANS 10400 Building Regulations we have divided them into three sections to improve the ease of navigation.

Please note that there are sub-menus which are not included here, but can be accessed via the drop-down menus.

The order in which the different Parts of the regulations are displayed follows the same order as the regulations themselves as they are published.

General Principal and Requirements-Part A,

Structural Design-Part B,

Dimensions-Part C,

Public Safety-Part D,

Demolition Work-Part E,

Site Operations-Part F,

Excavations-Part G,

Foundations-Part H



  34 Responses to “Building Regulations Part 1”

Comments (34)
  1. Good Day.

    New owners – one street away from the beach have bought a “shell” from the previous owner who demolished the dwelling to foundations. The “shell” has been an eyesore for 10 months and only recently have the new owners started to build – albeit slowly. Some residents maintain the new owner must build quickly or sell the property – many are aghast as – as the walls go up the structure is not appealing – they say that the residents never signed off the plans. I say – private owned , owner is a foreigner as his cash flow improves so he builds – so what – if private residence , I have no jurisdiction to sign off plans or interfere as long as the Council regulations have been complied with by owner . If there is compliance what are neighbours entitled to complain about ? Structure is a two – story building.

    • Normally a home builder has one year in which to complete the building of a dwelling from the time that the plans were approved. Time extensions can be applied for after this and reasons for the delay must be given. So long as the building is within the allowed building lines then no permission is required from any of the neighbours. As you say council regulations have been complied with otherwise he would not have recieved permission to start building. If he has moved away from the approved plan and is building something not approved then a complaint can be made. As for the “eyesore” you can approach the council on the basis that it is an eyesore and see what their reaction is.

  2. Hi,
    should for example, a drawing call for a room size of 3m x 6m – is there a regulation that talks to allowable deviations from these measurements?


    • Hi Louis, ANY deviation from the approved plan will need a rider plan with the amendments, plus any others, to be submitted to your council once building has finished. You might not an occupation certificate until these have been approved. You should check this with your local council.

 Leave a Reply


(required but will remain confidential and not be published)